Thursday, April 14, 2011

Meet a Veteran Q&A: Joseph G. Startt

Dover Post: Meet a Veteran Q&A: Joseph G. Startt
Dover, Del. — Vietnam War veteran Joseph G. Startt fought for his country more than 40 years ago. Over the years, he has given back to the community and kept the memory alive of the soldiers lost in Vietnam through the Kent County Chapter 850 of the Delaware Vietnam Veterans of America. He is the president of the chapter.

To celebrate Vietnam Veterans Day on March 30, Chapter 850 had a ceremony at the Kent County Veterans Memorial Park to honor the fallen soldiers. They also honored John Wheeler III, who was murdered last year.

Here’s an in depth look at Startt and what else Chapter 850 does throughout the year.

Q What part of the military were you in?
A I was in the Army, the 25th Infantry. I was drafted on July 3rd of 1969. I fought in Vietnam from 1969 to 1970 for 9 months and 27 days. I was wounded and brought back to a hospital in Valley Forge, Pa. I was in the hospital for six months.

Q How did you feel about being drafted?
A I wanted to be just like my father. He fought in World War II and I had a chance to be just like him. He was in the Army, I was in the Army. He was in the 25th Infantry, I was in the 25th Infantry. He was drafted, I was drafted.

Q How does it feel to have served your country?
A Now I feel honored to have worn that uniform. I wore it proudly. I fought for our freedom. I was willing to lose my life for our country and our freedom. I was very proud to wear that uniform but very sorry we lost 58,000 soldiers. That’s why we honored them with a memorial here, for the guys that fought in Vietnam.

Q What was it like for your wife while you were in Vietnam?
A My wife was 150% supportive. She really has been here for me. She wrote me every single day, never missed a letter. I tried to write back but she has always been 150% supportive. She is wonderful.

Q How did you feel when you came back from Vietnam? Was it hard to adjust?
A I was flown back to the hospital so I didn’t experience what the guys and gals experienced when they first came back. I will say I don’t want other soldiers to experience what we went through. We have a quote that is very dear to our heart, “Never again will one generation of veteran’s abandon another.” We want them to come home. We’re going to try everything we can to give them a good homecoming.

Q What did you do after you came back from Vietnam?
A I retired last March from Dover Air Force Base where I was a sheet metal technician for 30 years.

Q What else does Chapter 850 do throughout the year?
A We have fundraisers. On July 9, we’re having a Nam Jam and Poker Run to raise money for our memorial at the American Legion Post 2. We’re going to have a craft show at the American Legion in June, a Beef and Beer on Sept. 24 in Leipsic and a fried oyster dinner in Felton on Nov. 5. All the money is for Chapter 850 outreach and the memorial.

We also recruit for more veterans and Vietnam veterans to join our chapter. We started out with 20 and now we have 150 members. We started in 2000 and I’ve been president for four years. We have 25 associate members, these are war veterans but didn’t fight in the Vietnam War. We’re looking for new associate members.

Q Where does the money from the fundraisers go?
A The money goes toward the memorial and scholarships to help our brothers and sisters. To families in need of room, food and this winter's fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment