Monday, January 9, 2012

Ron Paul and Newt fight about Vietnam draft

From the Examiner, Washington.com: Ron Paul and Newt fight about Vietnam draft
Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, and Newt Gingrich tangled early about their respective Vietnam war service, with Paul talking about a "pet peeve" he has when politicians talk about war without having served in the military -- and deriding Newt for not serving in Vietnam -- and a visibly angry Newt criticizing Paul's facts and talking about his family history.

"I'm trying to stop the war, but at least I went when they called me up," Paul said in a sharp critique of Gingrich, who replied that he was married with a child at the time he would have gone to Vietnam, but that his father served at Vietnam.

"I think I have a pretty good idea of what it's like, as a family, to worry about your father getting killed," Gingrich said in response to Paul, who had implied that politicians don't think enough about the suffering caused by war.

Paul hit back pretty effectively, pointing out that when he went to Vietnam, "I was married and had two kids," which drew applause.

"I wasn't eligible for the draft," Gingrich replied, before the moderators changed the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment